Unfortunately, infrastructure problems are being discussed a fair amount in the news, especially with the collapse of the now-famous I35 bridge in Minneapolis. While that bridge collapsed as a result of construction overload, there are many other problems that could contribute to a bridge accident. If you have been involved in a car accident because of an issue with a bridge or other structure, then you may have recourse in the form of a personal injury lawsuit.

Common causes of bridge collapse include weakening of bridge piers, fatigue and corrosion, and excessive vehicle usage. Other causes relate to natural disasters, like high winds or seismic activity. If the bridge collapses as a result of a manufacturer defect or maintenance negligence, however, you may be able to pursue a claim against someone else.

Did you know that the victims of that Minnesota bridge collapse obtained more than $38 million in settlement funds for their injuries? Issues like this fall under the category of defective products. A defective product is one where the manufacturer knew or should have known about risks to patrons and did nothing or not enough to fix it.

Personal injury lawsuits from accidents like this can be very complex with multiple parties involved. This is why you need an experienced car accident attorney involved as well as other potential players.  If you are involved in an accident where a bridge or other structure begins to collapse, then you need to get medical help as soon as possible. Do not try to stay with your vehicle or collect belongings. Things can go from bad to worse in just a few seconds in this kind of accident. Try to help others in peril and wait for the authorities, but be aware of fires, falling objects, and other potential risks during this time. If you have been injured in an accident due to a defective product, then do not hesitate to call the law offices of Jayson Lutzky, P.C. Mr. Lutzky has over 32 years of New York legal experience. He offers free in-person consultations. Call 718-514-6619 to set up an appointment or visit www.MyNewYorkCityLawyer.com to contact the attorney.