Pedestrians who are struck by cars in the state of New York may sustain serious injuries that impact them for many years to come. Some of the most common injuries associated with pedestrian accidents in New York include back injuries, head injuries, internal bleeding and other trauma that can require serious and immediate medical treatment. Even if you suspect that your injuries are not that serious, then you need to be checked out by a doctor just to be sure. Head injuries, in particular, can be hard to spot immediately after an accident, but they can yield serious implications for your life.
Individuals injured in pedestrian accidents may have to cope with the consequences of the accident for years to come, particularly if they have to go through physical therapy or other kinds of treatment. There are several things you can do after you have been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident in New York. Consulting with a New York personal injury attorney should be one of your first goals after getting comprehensive medical treatment. The following are the steps you should take after being injured:
- Write down notes about any injuries you have sustained as well as the facts of the accident itself.
- Keep detailed notes about any conversations you have with other individuals about the accident including your doctor who may tell you details about the treatments required in the short and long term.
- Collect any evidence about the damage or any other details associated with the accident such as photographs.
- Gather any witness statements from individuals who may have witnessed the accident happen.
- Notify individuals who may be responsible for the accident or their insurance company to notify them of your intention to file a claim.
- Hire a New York personal injury attorney with experience in handling pedestrian accidents.
If you were injured in an accident and faced pain and suffering, lost wages or medical bills, then you may have a right to sue for compensation for these damages. Call 718-514-6619 to set up a free in-office consultation with Jayson Lutzky. He is a Bronx lawyer who handles pedestrian personal injury and accident cases. Home and hospital visits are available in the case of serious injury. Learn more about Mr. Lutzky at www.MyNewYorkCityLawyer.com.