As spring develops into summer, public parks become increasingly popular with New York families. We head out to Central Park to walk along the winding trails and streams or enjoy some sun tanning at Sheep’s Meadow. On weekends we grab the kids and go to Brooklyn Bridge Park to watch the outdoor movies and take a ride on Jane’s Carousel, or visit the zoo at Prospect Park.
Although they offer an idyllic outlet to enjoy the outdoors with your family, New York parks may contain certain hazards that can result in a serious injury to you or your child. They include (but are not limited to):
- Limbs falling off of trees: When park trees are diseased or have been weakened by ice, snow, or wind, their limbs can fall off unexpectedly and injure people below. Park managers and staff are responsible for monitoring the health of all trees under their care and control, but it doesn’t always happen.
- Defective sidewalks: On warm days, New York parks are filled with playing children, cyclists, joggers, and pedestrians. When the sidewalks and other walking surfaces are not properly inspected and maintained, they present trip hazards that can cause a park visitor to twist an ankle, break a bone, or worse.
- Improperly maintained playground equipment: Defective playground equipment, which includes swings, monkey bars, merry-go-rounds, and slides, can cause children to fall, crush their limbs, and even experience traumatic brain injuries.
- Negligent vendors: Vendor conduct can cause injuries to park visitors. Examples include failure to control a horse that is pulling a buggy and being negligent in their serving of hot foods, causing severe burns.
If you or one of your children has been injured in a New York public park, then it is important to be aware that you have a limited time frame during which a claim for injuries may be brought. When accidents occur on city-owned property, you have 90 days immediately following the incident to notify the city of your claim. For this and other reasons, you should retain the services of a New York personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
A personal injury attorney can hold New York City accountable for hazardous park conditions that caused your injury and which should have been prevented or corrected immediately. The goal will be to obtain compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses (both emergency and ongoing treatment)
- Hospital bills
- Future rehabilitative treatments
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning ability
- Costs to pay others to perform tasks you would have done if you weren’t injured
- Pain and suffering
Your attorney will determine what happened to cause the injuries, handle the task of filing a notice of claim against the city, and represent you during any negotiations or trials that ensue. They will advocate for the compensation you deserve while you focus on recovering. Jayson Lutzky is a Bronx personal injury lawyer who has been practicing law in New York State for more than 34 years. If you were hurt at a public park, then you may be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, medical bills and lost wages. Call 718-514-6619 to set up a free in-person initial consultation with Mr. Lutzky or visit www.MyNewYorkCityLawyer.com.