Once an order for spousal support has been entered by the courts it may only be altered by the court under extreme conditions. The court imposes tough standards on the parties to have the amount for spousal support to be changed. The legal standard is to show that there has been “a substantial change in circumstances.”  The person seeking to modify the payment must show the court that there was a change of circumstances since the order was entered.

These changes may include the paying party losing their job, involuntarily taking a significant pay decrease, health conditions, party receiving support obtaining a high income, or the party receiving support receiving party remarrying. However, note that if the spousal support was determined by an agreement between the party receiving support, then the party will have to show more than just substantial change.

Jayson Lutzky has been a practicing New York attorney for 30 years. He is experienced in getting the best results for his clients who are facing family law issues such as divorces, child custody, and child support issues. He is a tough negotiator which is what a person needs when dealing with a spousal support agreement. It is important to have an experienced and knowledgeable family law attorney on your side. At the law offices of Jayson Lutzky, P.C., we have helped thousands of satisfied clients. Mr. Lutzky has 30 years of experience in the area of family law. If you are considering divorce or are seeking an attorney regarding child support, paternity, visitation or spousal maintenance, then you should contact our office at (800) 660-5299. Mr. Lutzky offers free initial in person consultations. For further information, please visit our website, www.MyNewYorkCityLawyer.com