After you’ve been involved in a car accident in New York State, you need to contact your insurance company as soon as possible in order to initiate the process of filing a claim. If you meet the serious injury threshold in the state, however, you may also need to speak to a personal injury lawyer to determine your grounds for filing a liability claim against the other driver in the accident.

If you suffered serious injuries and meet New York’s threshold for taking your car accident claim outside of no-fault, or if you wish to request that your claim is exempted from the no-fault under the same threshold, there is a lot at stake. You need to consult with an experienced New York auto accident lawyer to learn more about your options and get a sense of what is expected of you and whether your case meets the grounds for a personal injury claim. Having an additional claim can be crucial for your future if you sustained a serious or life-altering injuries. It can take years to recover from such serious injuries, and some people may never be able to regain fully particular functions as a result of a major accident. This is why the law allows you to file a claim if your injuries exceed the threshold.

If you intend to file an additional claim, then normally you have three years from the date of your car accident to file your initial complaint in the civil court system in New York. The same three-year limitation also holds true for lawsuits filed over vehicle damage. If you were involved in a vehicle accident and one of the offending vehicles is a government vehicle, then the time to file a lawsuit or claim is very short. You should immediately contact a lawyer.  Ensure that it is in your best interest to consult with an attorney immediately so that you have a better understanding of your case and feel confident about moving forward.

Contact the law office of Jayson Lutzky, P.C. if you were injured in an automobile accident. Mr. Lutzky has over 32 years of experience representing individuals as a lawyer. He offers free in-office consultations. If you have been seriously injured, then home and hospital visits are available. Call 718-328-9500 to set up your no-obligation appointment. Visit to learn more about accident and personal injury law.